Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Section 6.4

In section 6.4 we had an introduction to geometry. In the workbook we used the geoboard method of finding the area of a region. They were easy at first but, were more complex as we went along. We had to learn how to visually break units down to figure out the total area. I will need more practice with this as well as many other concepts in this unit, but the geoboard method was helpful. I think it has some to do with perspective and breaking units down into simpler parts.

In class we also had a reminder of square and cubed roots. I really thought the concept of using the factor trees and then putting the prime numbers from the factor trees under the root was a simple way to learn the concept of roots. We paired up the numbers for square root and matched the triples for the cubed roots. I wish I would have learned this method before I learned the algebraic method. I think I may have understood it better and I can see how this method would be a great way to teach students roots for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment