Monday, November 2, 2009

More on 6.1

The workbook pages for section 6.1 were really helpful. I have known about place value for a long time now, but seeing how the unit is broken down into smaller pieces that make decimals is a great tool. It was a new and simple way of explaining how decials work and why they make sense. It also makes sense that the smaller the boxes get in the unit the larger the place value. For example, the thousandths place is more accurate than the hundredths or the tenths. You can shade more exact in the broken up unit in the thousandths and can visually see how it is more accurate because of how much more precise the shading is. I liked these examples.

Even though Cory's bingo game today was fun and a great learning tool, it showed me I will have to practice and study the relationship with decimals and fractions. I will have to pay attention to the placement, for example .7 is 7/10, and how some fractions break down or simplify even if they are the smaller numbers that are more defined. An example of this would be 0.250 is 250/1000 which can be simplified to 25/100, and 1/4. The more I practice the better I will understand these concepts and eventually be able to teach to students more effectively. I also had trouble with finding the fraction between two fractions. I remember having trouble with that on the homework so I will have to do some studying to figure that out. For some reason it seems hard for me.

I also found this game that kids can play to practice place value and numbers with decimals. The students are put in pairs and have a secret number the other student has to guess. I thought this was a cool game to play, and is a non-threatening way to learn. .Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment