Monday, October 26, 2009

A day of study tools.

Today was an interesting day for Math 105.  I have never been a math lover.  While Mrs. Andersen was talking about her valuable trip away from us she mentioned a conversation she had with a famous math genius.  He said he used to hate math until he had a "turning point" in which he had to learn it in order to learn what he wanted to learn in physics.  I know this is taking a long time to say but, the point I am trying to make is that I don't think I will ever have the "turning point" Mrs. Andersen was talking about in class today.  Let's face it, math is not one of my strengths nor one of my passions.  Although this is a fact I know I have to be a good student and always try to do my best.  I have to do this for myself and for my future students.  Today Mrs. Andersen was a good example of a great teacher and proved she is willing to help students be successful, but it's up to the student to take advantage of that help.  That's where I come in.

Today we learned some tools about how tests are written, and how to study for the upcoming units.  I learned some valuable tools such as what to study from the virtual classroom and making index cards of things to study from each unit.   I also learned how to prioritize my time a little better and be able to hold myself accountable to study the areas I need to study instead of what I want to study.  I have room to improve in Math 105 and with the tools I learned today I am going to try to better my grade and my understanding of this crazy thing called math.  The best to all of you out there who may never have that "turning point" like me.  Let's just keep trying.

1 comment:

  1. You may find that your "turning point" happens when you stand up in front of a group of smiling young faces and find yourself explaining the concepts. For many students, the first time they really understand is when they teach the material for the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete